Friday, May 1, 2015

...10....9.... days to takeoff

Trust but verify. Why don't I take my own advice? You know what I'm talking about. Something sounds too good to be true or just way too easy...
Called insurance company last month asking about getting approval for advance on prescriptions for 7 weeks. Nice guy just said to go to pharmacy tell them I need vacation supply and they'd call Insurance Company for approval. Cool. That sounds easy.
Went to Drugstore last Monday to order "Vacation" prescriptions - enough for the 7 week trip and clerk said I was asking too early and need to come back on Friday....Hmmm...really? (Why didn't I ask to speak to the Pharmacy Manager? I'm usually not that guy but starting to think maybe I should be.)

Went to the pharmacy today (Friday) and was told by different clerk I needed to have Dr. call in a 90 day order. That's a new story. Have you tried getting in touch with three Drs on a Friday afternoon? Just small speed bump. One Doc was great, called it in right away, One was off today - will be in on Monday - Secretary will see what she can do, (fair enough) and the third office was just closed until Monday. So I have a little list of last minute details to take care of.
Not the end of the world and figure I'll get it ironed out by Tuesday before I leave on Wednesday.

Not related to cycling just another interesting pharmacy related thing...just  happened yesterday. Friend went to pick up a script at same pharmacy- $200 for 1 month supply. "No thanks." Went back to Dr and was told to try Wal-Mart for generic. Generic version sold there for $10. Fact. Wow. I'm not endorsing the mega store but again, wow.

Oh yeah, biking...
Determined a new favorite 50 mile loop with 4,000' of climbing. Did it twice this past week. It was part of refining my drinking and fueling needs.  Felt good after each ride because of setting 15 minute timer on my bike computer to remind me to drink/eat. But I do need some more work there. Realized I need to figure out a better way of eating while riding. Mechanically speaking I'm really awkward at digging in back pocket for baggie of GORP (Good Old Raisins and Peanuts), opening zipper baggie and then digging out handfuls and popping in mouth. I leave more on the road than in my mouth.
Not anxious to take another tumble after breaking clavicle last September.

Starting to hear from family & friends asking me when I leave and wishing me well. Some friends already asked me to reserve seats at the post ride banquet in June. They're driving up to Boston from CT. Good guys they are. I have a bunch of calls yet to make. Yoga instructor gave me some suggestions for post ride poses today (Filed it for future use). Next on the agenda after this post is to draft will and medical proxy. Just being practical. It's not morbid just something I should have ready. Actually, Med proxy is done Just have to find copy.

Got list of the other riders names and birthdays from the tour operator. Guy from Scotland, another from New Zealand, and another practically next door in Wethersfield, CT maybe 35 miles from me. Mixed group of folks and we've been posting pictures in our bike gear and street clothes with short bios to a shared email list. Having fun already.

No comments:

Post a Comment