Friday, May 22, 2015

Running on empty

Ever have one of those low energy days? Ate heartily at the banquet hall last night, turned in early and slept like a log. Started the day feeling great although a bit daunted by knowing there would be 4700 feet of climbing on way out of ABQ.

I've fallen in with a group of 4 other riders and we've found we have similar riding speeds. We started out together but somewhere around 15 miles in, I noticed my legs were missing in action. They.weren't eager to spin at the usual pace (85-95 rpm) but rather in the mid 70's. "Huh, that's odd." I thought.

I decided the best plan of action would be to simply hang back and just drag myself to S/F at whatever speed felt right. Ahead, there were some long, very long climbs. But a little over halfway there, we were rewarded with a hard earned 3 mile descent into Madrid. It's a funky little town littered with cafes, hand made jewelry and art shoppes. One bistro had a sign out front saying their shop was featured in the film Wild Hogs. I did notice a couple of Harley's parked out front.

I stopped to ask a pedestrian for a suggestion for lunch. She, her husband, and son were visiting from Luxembourg. They sent me over to a small cafe where there were several other riders already dining alfresco, sipping on hot chocolate, coffee, and eating pie in the warm sun. We spent a relaxing half hour or so lingering over our coffees and cocoas, talking about the road behind us and the remaining distance ahead. I shared the last third of a burrito with a fellow rider. It was a happy escape from the saddle.

Once recharged, the road into Santa Fe turned out to be a fantastic set of rolling hills. Somehow, The Beatles instrumental "Flying" popped into my head. There it played in a möbius loop while I took my time riding, deciding to take in the views of snow topped mountains in distance and to enjoy the sweet smell of the Pinion Pine and Juniper. Maybe it was oxygen deprivation at 7,000 feet or the endorphins kicking in but the day was the best day of the tour so far. Took time for pictures, stopped to smell the coffee (literally), and enjoyed chewing the fat with the group. Most everyone agreed the terrain was interesting, weather fantastic, and the winds were not nearly the issue they've been in days past.

A little pre-dinner cocktail and conversation with the gang was a great topper to a trouble free day.

We have a day off tomorrow, so after my shower, I ran a load of laundry and washed my bike and degreased and lubed my chain to give me more free time later. I've scheduled an hour massage at a spa downtown for tomorrow. Couple other friends doing the same. We welcomed a new rider (Mary-Jo) to the group. She rode with us today and will continue until Champaign, IL (June 9th). We also say goodby to Russ from Oregon. He signed up for just the Southwest leg which completed today. He'll be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment