Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Serious Saddle Time

10 plus hours riding. Traveling from Blythe, CA to Wickenberg, AZ. New personal record of 116 miles. Sprinkled sand from the Pacific at the state line as part of the tradition with the group.  Bunch of pictures.  Did I mention the heat yesterday? It was great today. Did get up to the low 90's but really cooled off  once we got to Wickenberg - Dude Ranch Capitol of the world and "Recovery Center" capital, too. Eating, Alcohol, Drug, Gambling and sex addiction - all the big ones.

Really gave it all today.  Have to thank Matt, Rick, Peter, and Maggie who helped form a pace line so we all could have a chance to draft to diminish wind resistance. Each rider takes turns leading the line for about 5 minutes, (about a mile) before dropping to the back of the line to let someone else pull the line. Pretty ordinary in cycling clubs but fairly new to me. We tried it in my social-pace group rides in CT but not for the distance or the hours we did today. Because of the crazy miles if I hadn't been with these folks, I'm pretty darned I sure I wouldn't have made it.  We did actually stop to wait for a dust devil cross the road at one point...a mini dust tornado ...that would have thrown us off our bikes if we didn't stop (Thanks for the tip Rick!)

Quick note on the poverty out here. Different from the urban poverty I'm familiar with but pretty stark all the same.  What a country.  I'm really beat and need to get up early tomorrow. We leave at 6:45 AM to get to Prescott. Big climbing day but only half the mileage.  That will be Day 5..

Still can't believe this is happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment