Friday, May 15, 2015

Ghost Burger

It really feels like this week has been a sort of boot-camp week. Urban riding through the streets of LA, Interstate 10 through the Mojave, bone-crushing, shoulder-numbing washboard and derbies dodging for miles, headwinds, dirt Devils, then 5900 feet of climbing with"False Flats and Summits" over 47 miles on a day following a 116 mile ride which nearly took 11 hours.

But there was a bit more in store for today. Looked like an easy 44 mile ride to Cottonwood: only 2700 feet of climbing and 4600 feet of descent. Should be cake.  Ah, but the weather. Up to now, it was as good as it could be considering geography and time of year.

Started in mid 40's with a light rain. As we ground our way north up to Mingus Mt. the temps dropped to the lower 30's and it started snowing. We had to hold our 7 mile descent from the top until it was safe enough to go down (read as stop raining/snowing). Safety is good.

On the 7 mile shot down to Jerome (read as "Funky Town"), I lost all feeling in my hands save for the electric shocks I got trying to pry them off break levers.  Somehow by willing it so, I arrived in Jerome. I left bike on street and went into The Haunted Hamburger. Most of the group had arrived before me and many were swaddled in blankets and sitting under several electric ceiling heaters.
Jan, one of several support staff on today's ride, rushed up to me and threw blanket over me and rubbed my hands and arms until I stopped trembling. In retrospect it was probably something close to hypothermia.

Yes, I dressed appropriately with leg and arm warmers, had wind vest and raincoat on.  What happened was the sweat generated on my climb up hill just kept moisture close to my body so when temps dropped, the winds on the 7 mile descent just sucked the last amount of heat from my core and chilled me further. I was one Chilly Willy.

Just about everyone had a good story to tell tonight at dinner. I guess shared adversity has a bonding affect. Remarkably, we all seem to recover quite nicely overnight and jump on our bikes again in the morning.

Destination tomorrow is Flagstaff.  Short ride but all uphill. Not feeling it yet but let me sleep on it. It's always better in the AM.  Signing off now to check Accuweather. Best IOS app for weather you can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment