Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Wind at our backs!

What a difference between yesterday and today. Although the ride was another 92 miles with 2,700 feet of climbing, the Hellish crosswinds were replaced by west winds pushing us along I-40 to the Land of Enchantment - New Mexico.

I hadn't mentioned flats specifically as I knew eventually I would get one. Some riders have had two a day, some more.  Traveling along the Interstate breakdown lane for any length of time let alone more than 80 miles a day, you're bound to pick up metal wires from the steel belted tires that litter the roadside. Today was my day.

Changing flat tires are no big deal and anyone can do it but it is an inconvenience. What should be a 5 minute process usually takes me about 20 minutes. I'm petrified I may pinch the tube or not find the source of the puncture and reflat soon after the change. But I did alright today. It was a perfect day for one. Sunny but cool (70's), easy route to follow, so I was on my way in no time. I had my usual travel buddy continue on ahead of me because the wind was in our favor and the route was easy to follow.

We went parallel to the old fabled Route 66.  Some cool roadside outposts off the interstate. Had great stop near the Petrified Forrest at a Native American post. It was known for its fried dough but I went for the ice cream.

At around mile 71 we hit the New Mexico State line. We sprinkled Pacific Ocean sand at the state line and ran into a major highway construction area. The bike lane/breakdown lane squeezed down from an awesome 8 to 10 feet to only a few inches. At one point a tractor trailer came  dieseling up behind me and decided to pass. I had to hold my breath to keep my line and keep from either hitting the wall of metal going by on my left or falling off 6 inch Tarmac ledge into the sand on my left. I decided to pull of the road to assess the situation. 

Turned out the far left travel lane was closed to traffic so I waited for a break in traffic and pushed off to that lane and traveled a couple miles until out of the construction area and I could make it back over to the restored breakdown lane. It was pretty wild. 

Because of my earlier flat, I was traveling alone for a stretch of time. About 10 miles from our destination in Gallup, NM, three of the stronger riders pulled up and passed me.  Will, from the UK asked if I'd like to join the line so I picked up the pace and took the express train nearly all the way back to the hotel. One of the guys thought he may have picked up a wire so they decided to stop and check their tires and waived me along. 

After checking in tonight and completing my post ride chores, I headed over to the largest Wal-Mart on earth (it must be although I can't confirm) just to find some super glue to fix slice in my tire. I felt I needed a cue sheet to find my way around there. 

We start 2 hours later tomorrow on our way to Grants. We're now on Mountain Daylight time.

No comments:

Post a Comment