Sunday, May 24, 2015

Viva, Las Vegas! Gloves, Goats, and Dogs

Couple of housekeeping items.
1) At the start of each riding day, I get terribly anxious. I worry I won't make it to breakfast on time or I'll have forgotten to bring my bike (or my bags) down to the lobby or I'll have forgotten to pack a snack or my Chapstick or sun screen, or loaded my hydration pack. To mitigate this, the night before,  I lay out my wardrobe in order of dressing and arrange my gear so that I'll have to trip over it to forget it.  So far, other than timeliness, this tactic seems to be working.  Still, I get anxious. It feels like it did on the first day of school where you don't want to go without some essential item or other.

2) Every shower after every completed ride has been such an exquisite delight that words fail me.

Let's get to today's ride from Santa Fe to Las Vegas, New Mexico.
After a great night's rest, up at 4:45 to prepare for new day and new sights. Although just an observation and not a complaint, my rooms have been at the farthest spot from the lobby at just about every location. Today was no exception - staying at a rather large Courtyard Marriott, here in Santa Fe.

Brought the bike down before breakfast (5:30) as I needed to pick up some items at the 24hour Walgreens across the street. Snagged a good early breakfast, still in my street clothes, made a toasted PB&J sandwich for later, pumped my tires, then went to my room to change into bike gear and bring bags down to lobby to load onto the truck. Awesome! Done and back in lobby 6:45 with just enough time to put bike shoes on and shove off with my posse.

"Jim. Where are your new gloves?" Peter asked.

Awe, stink! Back in my room on the desk. I sent the gang on ahead. I then clip-clopped my way on ceramic tiled floors to the front desk to get a new key made so I could clip-clop my way all the way to the back of the hotel, up to the second floor (imagine what metal cleats sound like on those tile floors and in a stairwell on Sunday morning @ 7 AM.)

Really didn't shove off until 7:20 just 10 minutes ahead of the 7:30 crew. Not the end of the world, so I just settled into the cool, mostly sunny Sunday morning air and started following today's directions to Las Vegas.

Today's ride took us along the Santa Fe Trail up to the Glorieta Pass Battlefield monument which is considered the Gettysburg of the West. It is also the highest elevation point in our 7 week trip. Around 7,400 feet or so. What I had attributed to low energy, I'm now realizing may just be adjusting to breathing at such a high altitude.
Further down the road our Cue Sheet warned of a few Cattle Guards - those metal grates imbedded in the road to keep cattle from straying too far - and of dogs that might give chase. Although I heard a couple riders reported some black dogs did give chase, I was  amused by a pack of goats that gave me chase. No, they didn't bite.  Poor Devils couldn't catch me.  The weather for me was perfect for riding, cool but dry and sunny. 

Although I had a late start, struggled a bit getting over the rolling hills, I had to stop at a local gas station where a sparsely- toothed man and older woman were selling fresh made mini-donuts from an outdoor stand. At 4 for a buck, I was all over it. Headed out from there to the SAG stop at mile 40. 

At the SAG I ran into the others who had taken their drinks, sandwiches and were about to 'git' on their way. While there I noticed a cute but obviously over-indulged chihuahua. He certainly hadn't missed any meals. After scoping out the action at the SAG wagon, he left but later returned with his girlfriend - a large mixed breed - but also comfortable in her size. Man, did these two know how to work a crowd.  



Kicking out of the rest area, we found ourselves on long expanses of longish climbs of fairly mild grade, followed by some nice downhills. Rolling finally into Las Vegas, I saw the gang gathered at the Dairy Queen referenced on our cue sheet just one mile from our hotel for the night. 

I grabbed a bacon cheeseburger  and a Blizzard (Extreme Chocolate). Despite the layover at the DQ, I rolled into the Best Western before 2:00 and had a luxurious hot shower. Tomorrow's ride to Tucumcarie will be a beautiful ride but a long 107 miles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment