Thursday, May 14, 2015

Small world

Wierdest road trip today. After yesterday's 10 plus hour ride, I didn't know how I'd get through today. It did involve 5,900 feet of climbing over 59 miles. Riding was hallucinatory experience. There was a 7 mile stretch that appeared flat but was actually a climb. Legs kept telling me I was climbing averaging 8-9 mph but my eyes were telling me I should be cruising at 17-20.  Then when we started the climb to Yarnell Pass, kept rounding the corner where I could see the summit, but climb kept going. Last hallucinatory experience was looking ahead to some monster steeps, only to find they melted into mild climb.

The phenomena is known as false flats ant false plateaus. It's a real thing and not my exhausted body going haywire.

Once we cleared Yarnell pass there was a dream (screamer) descent. The road was smoothe as any fresh pavement could be. And compared to the interstate 10 breakdown lanes we traveled a couple days ago, derbies free. Before I knew it a fellow rider mentioned we we going 43+ MPH. I've not planned on doing anything reckless, but bike was stable, long clear view of road ahead and no traffic to speak of made the the 2 mile or so stretch the best day of my trip so far.

But seriously, I'll not do that again.  That's just too damn fast.

The cue sheet mentioned a bike shop just outside town center before the hotel, so I pulled in to pick up some chamois cream. They were out so I decided to pick up new bibs. Checking out and making small talk with the guy, we found out we both went to Easthampton High although 10 years apart.

We talked about the renaissance of Cottage Street, the Arts Center in the old mills on Pleasant Street, riding bikes up Reservation Road to Mt Tom. That little side trip added another half hour to my ride but an unexpected lift to the day.

Finished today's trip by 2:15! Bonus! Had time for (best) hot shower (ever), Burrito at nearby Chipotle, caught up on email, shopped for other supplies (did score chamois cream at the third bike shop I found), did laundry, and reorganized duffle bags for more efficient morning and evening routine. Still need to check tires and clean chain before tomorrow's ride. I'll do it in morning.

Nine of us went to great Italian place for dinner (Papa's on Cortez St) now it's time to lay out gear for trip through Jerome to Cottonwood. Another climbing day but short. Weather is iffy. Good chance of rain. But day five is now on the books and still feeling OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment