Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The riding is OK-lahoma

Yesterday's ride made me somewhat fretful about today's jaunt to Oklahoma. My sitz bones are rather  disappointed in me or I with them...
However, again a good shower, proper hydration after the ride, and good meal followed by decent night's rest and 'Voila!' - new day new outlook.

We changed time zones again last night so I'm all messed up. Luckily, we got to leave 2 hours later this morning so I had very little anxiety for a change. I didn't forget to turn on my lights, forget to turn on my bike computer, or forget my gloves, helmet, etc, etc, etc.

The 9:00 starters took off like a rocket. The roads were flat, we had favorable light breeze and the sun was warm but not too hot. I couldn't keep up the Rocket pace for too long (Rockin' 20+ mph) so I settled into a still Rockin' 18 or so mph. Only 500 feet of climbing over 72 miles compared to monster days earlier where we did 2,400-5,400 over similar distances.

A couple of good smiles today. One was Big Tex. Apparently, Texans with guns like to shoot at stuff along the highway (signs, roadside attractions). Although you can't see it in photo, Big Tex probably sings tenor.

Next smile was putting notch in the 'states' belt as we punched into Oklahoma.

Next smile was hanging with good man Peter for a fair stretch of highway. We pulled into a small convenience store about 12 miles from destination. Met two great local gals who ran the place and decided to stay a spell and have a couple of grinders and ice teas. Our comrad Matt also stopped by for a spell and a beverage. Just another simple break that made the last 12 miles into Guymon fly by despite some nasty gravel in the breakdown lane.

Finally, an unexpectedly good Chinese Buffet for dinner tonight. No. Really it was good. Hot, fresh, and they had really fresh and tasty Sushi. Sounds dicey, Sushi and Oklahoma, but sometimes you have to let go of those preconceptions and open up to new possibilities (Oh, alright, the Wasabi was a little weak but it was really quite good overall).

No comments:

Post a Comment