Sunday, June 14, 2015

What is Broasted?

Went to a Bob Evans for dinner last night. I was hungry (Big surprise there, hmmm?) I ordered the half chicken plate, with baked sweet potato, and corn. Since we've been eating at chain restaurants, my expectations were on the low side as to how well I'd like the meal. It was the most succulent chicken I've ever had in my life. I don't know what "Broasted" means but whatever it is I have to tell you it must mean crispy outside and juicy and succulent inside - even the breast piece. It  was absolutely incredible.

We were a group of anxious souls this morning. Weather had 60% chance of rain and we had a long 103 miles to travel in hot and humid conditions. Somehow, despite the sweltering humidity, the sun stayed behind high clouds until about noon, when it decided to poke through. Luckily, the wind was at our backs, and despite the temps (I was reading between 92 and 96 degrees) the ride was less of a monster than it could have been.

We crossed into Ohio within just a couple miles from our departure time. After sprinkling our Pacific sand at the base of the state line sign and taking some quick snaps, we were on our way. Had a great time hanging with the "New Italians" for a spell. We picked up two new (strong) riders in Champaign, IL. They were in a group with some of the original Italians who defected to an earlier departure time. Because we had the wind at our backs, we traveled a good couple dozen miles at rather zippy pace (19 + mph).

After a spell we ran into a former riding buddy who had chain issues similar to my issue yesterday. We stopped to give a hand and steady the bike. The chain was eventually wrestled free but we ended up flagging down the SAG van for additional help as we had loosened the front dérailleur.

At that point I continued on paired with anothe rider and we cruised at a good but comfortable clip to the next SAG stop and on to a local ice cream shop just 6 miles from tonight's hotel. What was feared to be a grueling day, turned only to be a hard but satisfying ride. I had an awesome day. Glad it's over - another Century on the books - but tomorrow will probably be the zinger of the week. It's another 98 miler but with a lot of sharp hills in the last 20 miles.. Hot and humid weather will continue. There had better be ice cream or Broasted Chicken.

Bikes lined up before ride. They don't look very antsy to get out there today. 

Sprinkle sand, take the glamor shot, and move it along. Another 100 miles still to go.

What a perfect hang out on a hot and muggy day like today. 
Back on the chain gang.....
There's a guy on a lawn mower mowing this massive lawn.
I believe this is downtown Saint Paris. Stopped here to grab a V8. Great fuel on a day like today..
My two constant companions. My bike and my ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment