Monday, June 1, 2015

Stampede in Abilene!

From the description we got at the nightly Route Rap meeting, the ride from McPherson to Abiline was going to be a good opportunity to kick back and take some time for snapshots and maybe a coffee at a local shop (or two).  More overcast than yesterday, I re-thought my riding gear at the last moment and added a vest...can always take it off once we're on our way but can't add clothing you don't take with you. Being the second day with an hour delay to usual kick off time, the rain that started around 5:30 had time to dissipate by 8:00. We keep dodging those bullets.

Due to some construction, once we started our ride the seven of us in our departure time slot had to take over the whole lane of the highway for a little more than a half mile... it was a little hairy pedaling while hearing a tractor trailer dieseling  on our rear wheels. We were like a stamped of neon colored cattle racing ahead of the Mac Truck wrangler. Provided a good jump start to the day for sure. Soon after that half mile or so, the break down lane reappeared and we were able to pull over and let the truck and cars by.

Not to stretch the analogy too thin but after a 10 mile stretch keeping with the herd, I needed to pull over at a gas station for a brief bio-break and urged the others along as I would catch up further down the line. That was the plan.  But after a great chat with the sweet lady at the gas station - she asked me "Mercy! Did you just ride your bike up that long hill?!" At first I thought she was kidding, then realized it was Kansas so that little slope must be the big hill around here - everything is relative, right? - "Yes, Ma'am." I said with genuine sincerity. We talked about how cool and wet it had bee so far this year and she wished us well on the rest of our journey.

I didn't catch up with my core riders until about mile 30. I was just enjoying a leisurely pedal with another rider who was looking to rest his knee and take some pictures. It was a superb day for it.

We started noticing a distinct change in the landscape. Although flat, there were more rolling hills, more trees, wheat fields already about 3 feet, corn, and just generally more green everywhere. Pasture lands were populated with herds of sheep, and cattle. At one point we stopped our bikes to take a picture of some wide open spaces when I noticed what looked like a ribbon blowing off in the distance. After a minute the ribbon morphed into dozens of cows cresting a hill and stampeding to the road where we were.  I fumbled to get my phone out and get a video of it. While filming the herd, something spooked them. They started to retreat back over the rise. Strangest thing I've seen. Swarming cows. As they disappeared over the rise, I realized I hadn't hit the record key. Smart phone? Not if there's a dunce operator.

Glad to have day off tomorrow. Abilene is small town 16,000 population and home to the Dwight D Eisenhower homestead an museum. Looking to catch the tour tomorrow.



Looks like a family farm...

Cows going home after stampede. 



Going there tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment