Thursday, June 18, 2015

Here in Erie, PA


I feel like I'm almost home. Riding the 91 miles to Erie, PA, reminded me so much of the roads at home. Rough, pot holes, some stretches of nice pavement, loads of tree-lined streets, and picture perfect homes with tidy lawns. Weather was our friend today.  Started out overcast in low 60's - almost chilly - so I started day wearing my wind vest but left my arm warmers in my bags. It remained cool but pedaling to the first SAG (Supply and Gear) stop generated enough heat to keep me comfortable. I left my wind vest with the crew at that point and enjoyed the remainder of the ride in what I consider perfect cycling weather - low to mid 60's.

The starting time has become much less rigid with most everyone now leaving around 7:00.  It does tend to bunch up with the Legacy Italians and New Italians intermixed with the rest of us for the first  10 miles or so, but as the legs warm up, the New Italians tend to break away first, followed by the Legacy group, then the rest of us fall into riding buddies or groups of buddies and we start setting what feels like a good pace. 

Had a couple of good chuckles and assortment of surprises again, today. First picture below is at the PA border. Notice the state sign is rather unimaginative. While traveling with a buddy today, we stopped to take pictures as we frequently do. It happened at a point where they were re-paving a section of the road. I was asked to take a picture in return for taking mine. Sure. I wasn't sure of what was so interesting about the steamroller pressing out a fresh patch of asphalt but hey, à chacun son goût, oui?

I understood later that it was the picture at the state line sign that was wanted. Oops. I hope I got the sign in their picture. Luckily, later that night it turned out that I accidentally got the sign and the wanted shot.  Phew! 

Along the way we also quizzed each other on which stops came next on each of our riding days.  Without this blog to refer to, I would be "kicked off the Island".  You'd think I'd remember as I was there but the days do seem to collide into each other.

We were glad to get to second SAG stop which was hosted at a local root beer and hot dog stand. Their speciality is the Root Beer Float and their chili dogs. I was lucky to get there when I did because some truck had taken out a telephone pole and the wires had come down across the road blocking traffic in both directions just near the stand. Riders behind us had to figure out a detour around that mess. When we got there power was out. Although we could get root beer and chili dogs, they couldn't do ice cream. I guess they use soft serve ice cream machine to make their floats. No power meant no ice cream. It didn't stop me from enjoying two root beers and two chili dogs, though.

Near the end of the ride today, there was an optional detour to Presaue Isle state park. It's a recreation area along the lake. There are campgrounds, beaches, a large water park, and amusement rides. On the long hill that descended into the park on the way in, we noticed a large arched overpass. I assumed it was pedestrian walkway. On the slower ride out of the park and back up the hill I noticed the familiar clacking sound of a wooden roller coaster ascending a hill followed by the screams and roar as its cars crested the peak and rolled down the slope and over that overpass as we were pedaling by. I had almost forgot that by now, schools are out and it's summer vacation time.

Got to the hotel just a little after 2:00. Wow. We usually stay in nice places, Hampton Inns, Holiday Inn Express, Hilton Garden Inn and the like. But tonight we're on the water in a Sheraton. I'm on the 8th floor with a sunset view over Lake Erie. It's a great place to spend time for our day off. On arrival, I jumped into the shower and then dashed to the laundry to get that chore behind me.  I usually do my bike clothes in the sink each night but I've needed to do some ofmy street clothes too which are better suited to the washer and dryers.

We assembled at the hotel lounge to figure out dinner plans. While assembling there we met a bunch of insurance people gathered for a regional convention. Had a few chuckles with them. There must be 50 or more of them milling around. Nice group of high energy, young folk mostly. Reminded me of my working days when we had our company conferences. 

Our group broke up into a couple of smaller parties where 8 of us took a couple of cabs to a nice Italian restaurant. Food was good and plentiful, and since we sat at a round table, we could all talk and hear each other. We cried tears over a story someone related about a friend who had accidentally got locked out of his room in the middle of the night. We all could relate because of all the changes we've made from hotel to hotel the past 6 weeks. A great night with good friends. 

There's that discreet state sign and the freshly laid pavement. 


I call these guys "Root Beer & Float" 


Chatting up the owner of the Root Beer stand. Good root beer and chili-dogs. 



Just a lonely looking still life at Lake Erie. Well, at least they have each other...


No comments:

Post a Comment