Saturday, June 20, 2015

Finding the Finger Lakes

Starting to look back at the previous weeks and noticed a few things. My morning anxiety of the first week or so has been replaced by the calm certainty of a well established routine. Maybe it's discipline needed to succeed day after day or just realizing (to quote a fellow rider) "There is no plan B. We just have to do this." Knowing that makes choices a lot easier.

The other thing I noticed is that my body has adapted to the requirements of my daily routine. I won't get graphic here but it is amazing how my body chemistry has adapted to my new waking, eating, riding, sleeping patterns and has accommodated my needs quite nicely.  In talking to a former rider (who I met  a few days ago), he mentioned that the routine and closed social environment we're in is a bit like a prisoner of war camp. You adapt to the new reality and social norms almost subconsciously. Interesting observation, maybe a bit extreme, but I understand what he was driving at.

Next observation is that the rides although routine in one sense, just seem to get richer every day. No matter the riding conditions or terrane, I'm enjoying the ride more every day. Despite this daily joy ride, I'm aware of its limited shelf life and sigh.

Today's joy was discovering a new element to cycling psychology. I probably knew it but just having gone through it made for a new twist to the final stage of our ride. At the second SAG stop, in Avon, NY, we met a local gent who meets the CrossRoads cyclists every year when they pass through his town. He asked if we would mind if he rode with us for a bit - the leg from the SAG stop to the Canandaigua town line.

"Sure"

It was on.

The next 25 miles of climbing was some of the most aggressive riding I've ever done. Not something I'd planned to do today especially because of the length of the ride (some 95 miles) and the amount of climbing (4,700 feet). It was supposed to be a steady, relaxed ride to conserve strength and keep safe for the last week of the tour. Well, plans change. This dude was looking to prove something and we had the duty to preserve the honor of the CrossRoads riding team.

We traded summiting some monster hills despite the fact we had already pedaled 60 plus miles already today. But we kept at it. All the way to the Canandaigua border. Our friend did make the town line first but I did notice his heaving lungs as he dismounted his bike and pulled it off the road into a nice patch of shade. We smiled as we waved back at him realizing we had been used as pick-up  training partners. No matter. We held our own and then some.

It was a great day to ride, cool early on then it warmed up slightly under sunny skies. It did cloud up toward the end of the riding day and despite stopping for both a chocolate fudge sundae and a strawberry/banana smoothie (recovery nutrition) we got to the hotel by 2:00. The NY roads we travelled today were close to paralleling Interstate 90. They were in really good shape with wide shoulders and moderate traffic. Had ample opportunity to ride two abreast and discuss the world condition for miles and miles.

I had been through western NY years ago on trips for work but was reminded again of the rolling hills, and pastoral scenery - probably not the first images that come to mind when thinking of New York. Again, I'm privileged to be on this trip. Thinking of my guys back home who support me.

Rolling hills, vineyards, farms, and paddocks...

Tucked away behind the local Starbucks, was an access road to Canandaigua Lake.
I was surprised how congested the lake seemed with sail boats, power boats, and paddle boards. 
Watched a woman tossing rocks into shallows so he dog could play.
They both were having a good time.



Paddle-boarder coming ashore as rain clouds gathered.
Hotel was just another half mile away so we made it there before the rain started.

No comments:

Post a Comment