Friday, June 19, 2015

Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner

- reference: Warren Zevon.

There was no blog from me yesterday. It was our last day off.  In anticipation of the climbing and distances we need to cover this final week, I did my best to recharge my legs. I spent most of yesterday morning in the lounge eating a long leisurely breakfast of toast, oatmeal, fresh berries, yogurt, bacon and eggs, and downing about a half gallon of Starbucks coffee while I managed to finish the entire Wall Street Journal and USA Today. I was in no hurry.

While there I overheard the hotel server ask a gentleman if he met any of "those bikers". He replied he met 5 and being as hyper-caffeinated as I was, I blurted out I was the 6th.  He introduced himself as "Ty" who had done this tour twice before. We then began talking, sharing our experiences. He had a few eye opening details about his crossing the Mojave in 116 degree heat when I had only clocked top temps @ 103.  As I suspected our group has really had the best weather so far, relative to rainy days, headwinds and heat. Not that we haven't had our share challenges but on balance it's been pretty good.

After lounging most of the morning, I went to find my vest that I had forgotten under the CrossRoads Tours sign in the lobby from the previous night. Not there. My fault for forgetting it. Rats. I decided therefore to have lunch at the hotel. I met a fellow rider who was finishing his lunch and catching up on email via phone. After getting a meal recommendation, I ordered a hot chocolate - it was an overcast and drizzley day - and a turkey club. It was a good $20 lunch. (Cough)

After lunch it was time for a movie on my iPad (Whiplash - I wanted  to see JK Simmons Oscar winning role for a while now) and a later nap. On waking, it was time for supper. Quick walk uptown with a party of 7 and we found ourselves in an Irish pub. Food was OK. I mean "ok".

Chuckle of the day:
I had asked one of our British riders at dinner in the Irish pub what surprised him most on his trip across the States. He was most surprised by how friendly and nice the people here were and how willing they were to talk to strangers. He thought the British were a bit more reticent to talk with strangers.

Later, on our walk back to the hotel, our group of 7 was walking closely to a group of 4 or 5 younger folk. Someone passing by in a car yelled out the window at that group "Hey! Your a** is hanging out of your pants!"
To which one of the demure ladies in the walking group shouted at the passing car "**** You! A******'s! #%*** and your €%###!!!"
I looked at my British friend and said, "Yes, I guess we are quite friendly and willing to talk to strangers, aren't we?" A good chuckle.

Today was Friday the 19th.  Short ride scheduled for today only 80 miles. Still bummed about my vest, I asked the support team if they saw or found it.  They checked in their vans and asked at the hotel front desk but they came up empty handed.

Someone mentioned that perhaps the front desk wasn't invested enough to really look and maybe I should ask them again. Since I had no vest, I asked if the photographer that was shooting pictures there yesterday had placed it behind the front desk. Apparently, that did the trick. The clerk came back with two vests, a sweater, and an Apple Store bag with some product. Great! I got my vest and Mark's vest returned. I returned the Apple bag to the clerk then brought my bike outside to prepare for the day's ride. Good way to start my day.


Weather was cool with overcast skies. Stayed that way for all but the last 10 miles. We travelled parallel to Lake Erie for 50 + miles saw many vineyards. Might be a nice place to ride again doing a winery tour.  Saw one Winery named the same as a friend of mine. Took a snapshot and emailed it to him.  Decided to lunch at local diner but heard that the pie shop across the street was probably the better joint.

One creepy moment was when we stopped in front of a cheesy lawn ornament and homemade candy shop to take a picture.  See below to get a sense of what the place was like...
While taking some shots, a guy pulls up in an electric cart and recommends we go inside and check the place out.  Trying to gracefully decline wasn't going to work with this guy so to move along we went inside.

It was a great candy store but it was chock full of the weirdest collection of statues, clothed manikins, Christmas "decorations?", lots of what looked like stage props.  The"merchandise" hadn't moved in years. It had a faint musty odor and a slight yellowed patina from 30 years of jus sitting and waiting and waiting and waiting....  I wouldn't want to be there after dark. We got out of there fast and after pedaling a few more mikes the sun came out! We arrived at the hotel by 2:00 which allowed plenty of time for cleaning the bike, sink laundry, showering, and getting ready for Route Rap.

Went to a nice local restaurant for dinner. The food was good but we only had one waitress for the 20+ of us. The ordering of drinks then taking dinner orders just took forever. I know it's Friday night but it took over an hour for our meals to reach our tables...

Tomorrow will be a tough day. Over 90 miles and 4,600 feet of climbing. But we're getting closer.
Nearly coast to coast, now!
Creepyville. Note the life size Jesus with back to camera.
Not in picture are the Lawn Jockeys, Elephants, and Dinosaurs.  











No comments:

Post a Comment