Thursday, June 4, 2015

There will be mud...

Roller coaster of a day on today's ride to St Joseph, MO. Started out humid and very warm when we all left Topeka, Kansas but somewhere around mile 38 it turned really bad: the skies ahead turned black, it started to lightening ahead, then thunder, followed by hail then a good old fashioned downpour. I stopped to take a picture at the top of a hill then realized it's not the smartest thing I've ever done...

Rain was so bad the CrossRoads support team pulled us off the road and made us get in the back off the support truck. We looked like a bunch of illegal aliens from Kansas trying to make it to the Missouri border. Plan was to wait out the lightening to see if we could continue to ride or not.

Decision was made to transport everyone down the road a mile and a half or so to a gas station/convenience store to wait it out. I was a bit bummed but if we had to take the bump, I was too wet and miserable to complain.

The convenience store was a hoot. A local joint with pizza, burgers, chicken fingers and fries. We flooded them and soon they were out of burgers and fries and were down to only tater tots and chicken strips. But no matter. The cocoa was thin but hot and the seats were dry and warm inside there. We waited about two hours when we got the word.

Those who had already missed a day or portion of a day riding earlier in the tour were called out to load up into the vans and were taken ahead to the hotel. The remaining nine who hadn't missed a day yet were told they could stay at the store until the vans came back.. If the weather cleared, they may be allowed to finish the last 45 miles.

I have a little survivor's remorse that I was allowed to continue when my core team - my friends who I hang regularly with - had to go on to the hotel.

After about a 3 hour delay, we got word that we could ride on. I was in a group of 4 that got to leave  before the vans returned from the hotel. The remaining 5 left about a half hour after my team.  Dang if my Garmin didn't run out of power. I really needed to hang with these guys so I could find my way to the next hotel.

We did cross the Missouri River and into Missouri today. Our 7th state. Sprinkled Pacific beach sand  at the base of the state sign for good luck.

Big surprise was the road detour. I remember the tour operator said to forge on ahead because road closures didn't always pertain to bikes. Gulp. Let's see if this really plays out well or not.

Two ways you can look at this. 1) We slogged through a nasty stretch of mud over a closed road that led to an open field where we crossed finally over to pavement. Yes it was a bloody muddy mess but  we were on target with the directions.  AKA "adventure" 2) We could have taken the road detour and kept our bikes clean. But those 5 who did got turned around and got off track and added a bunch of extra miles (And hills) to the end of their day.

Let it be said long day.  We got in after 5:00 pm. I missed the 5:45 Route Rap as I was hosing the mud off my bike and shoes before it turned to cement. I also missed dinner at Applebee's choosing instead to munch on the substantial snacks offered by the Drury Inn (Potato Soup, Chicken Tenders, Garden Salad, Hot Dogs, I was stuffed.  Caught up with my friends there in the hotel lounge and although the they were not happy about being bumped they were more than happy to razz me over my slogging it out.

We have another 80 plus miler again tomorrow, not sure what the weather will be like. Probably wet. There will be mud.....











No comments:

Post a Comment