Friday, June 5, 2015

Rolling into Chillicothe

Chillicothe's claim to fame is this is where sliced bread comes from. The guy who invented commercial bread slicers comes from here. Who knew?

I had one of my hardest days today. Only 86 miles and 4700 feet of climbing and we've had much tougher days but I didn't prepare well enough the night before. Instead of eating and drinking immediately after yesterday's ride, I fussed with cleaning mud off my bike and shoes and delayed eating by over two hours. Bad news for replenishing my energy reserves. Result was I really struggled throughout most of a very hot and humid day.

The Missouri roads between St. Joseph and Chillicothe were beautiful. Undulating rolling hills for nearly the whole ride. Some were so well spaced that you could roll down one at such a good clip that it could roll up the other side. Ah, but not all were so evenly spaced. There were 140+ of these rollers some with rather incredible pitches 12 % by some calculations. For me it was exhausting in the heat and humidity. But I did make it to the hotel around 2:30 pretty good time considering.

There was a surprise along the way in Maysville. Every year the historical commission prepares a welcome for he CrossRoads tour riders. "Buck" gets up a 3:00 am to make cinnamon rolls, town ladies make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and they put out water and bananas. The photographer from the local paper takes a group shot and we all sign the register at the historical museum.

We all gathered just outside the town center and then slowly rode two by two into town to the reception. It was a great time.

I made sure to hydrate and eat once I got in today because we have even more rollers tomorrow with more climbing than we had today. Turning in early tonight.  Couple shots below from historical museum in Maysville and a shot of the rolling hills taken by fellow rider Matt. My shot just didn't capture the true experience.


Man from Maysville actually rode his bike around the world. It explains the local fascination with our cross country riders.




No comments:

Post a Comment