Saturday, April 4, 2015

Five Weeks Out

Went for my first outdoor ride since last September's tumble on April 1st with new friends Chris and Charlie. It was cold and I only dressed in my Spring gear. Charlie insisted he lend me some leg warmers, vest, ear muffs, with hand and toe warmers.  After a quick dash to Charlie's - a mile or so from our starting point - I was adequately bundled up and good to go.

Anxious to see how the indoor training translated to real riding glad to report my cadence was really improved. We covered a 50 mile route averaging about only 13+ MPH which is slower than my 15-16 MPH goal but with a few stops I count this as a good ride on a really cold day. Roads were in pretty good shape rain having washed much of the sand and snow aside. Some nasty potholes still demanded constant concentration.

Found I received 2 duffle bags and bike jersey from the tour operator when I got home from ride. Now I'm really psyched. Getting pile of gear set up in living room for a practice packing session. Limited to total of 30 pounds (15 per bag). Need to make final decisions on  take / don't take items.

Deciding on how to set up my tech gear so I can capture ride stats, pictures, and continue to post blogs. Will run proof of concept tests with equipment next week. This is almost like working only fun.

Last thought. When I got out of the gym the other night, the moon hung brightly in a dark sky. It always gives me a sense of wonder.  As I looked up I thought of the moon and chuckled as I said to myself  "Now that's far."

No comments:

Post a Comment