Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Eight weeks before departure...

February was a rush of activity. Mid-month, on Friday the 13th, after nearly 30 years, I turned over my current office responsibilities to my successors and said good-bye to a company I've been proud to be associated with for a long time. Although leaving was hard, it was a good time to go.  Had great fun compiling a list of people I encountered over those years with two other folks that have been there with me nearly as long - since 1985. The list was long and full of lots of laughs and some sighs, too. It's true. It's the people that give a company its spirit and sense of humor...

So what about the biking? Starting back in the first week of December, I started a Winter Training program for cyclists offered at a bike shop I support. I didn't know it at the time but it's exactly what I was looking for to help me prepare for my trip in May.

There are between 8 and 12 of us in each class depending on weather/work-life commitments. We each have our own bike set up on a trainer with a rubber mat and individual fans. Over the course of 90 minutes twice a week, our coach runs us through a series of drills. It was a 13 week commitment and this week is our final week.

Never having participated in any sport specific training before now, I'm surprised by what I was able to learn relative to pedaling efficiency, body positioning, nutrition and hydration. The classes have been progressively tougher each week. Using a heart rate monitor and bike computer, I learned how to use the data on my cadence/RPMs, heart rate and calories expended. Really can see the improvement since our first classes back in early December. (I never thought I could get my legs to spin that fast.)  Although we had to reschedule 3 Monday classes to a Saturday morning due to the unending snow, I haven't missed a single one.

A couple weeks ago I talked to the coach about my goals for the spring ride because I was concerned that I might lose some of the skills I've built up before I can actually get outside. He decided I should  add an hour on the the start of our last 5 classes. That's a long time riding. He also heard the same concern from others in our group and decided to offer an additional 2 weeks of "Endurance" sessions to the Winter Training group participants. Very cool.

So although tomorrow is my final "Winter Training" session, I'm set for 4 additional two and a half hour training days over the next three weeks. There's also a bonus Saturday classes, so I'm likely going to pick up those, too. Still lots of work to do.

With only 8 weeks left.... Should start outside training soon....Can't wait!




No comments:

Post a Comment